Communications and Marketing Manager
Position Title: Communications and Marketing Manager
Reports to: CEO (subject to change)
Leadership Roundtable is a responsive and innovative partner to Catholic leaders in the areas of management and leadership development. We provide custom support to implement comprehensive managerial best practices, while also supporting the development of current and future leaders. We do this so that the Church and Catholic entities can more effectively serve and amplify their mission.
In its current strategic plan, Leadership Roundtable strives to:
- Discover Excellence: Enlist the intellectual capital and entrepreneurial spirit of Leadership Roundtable members, philanthropic partners and Church leaders to incubate dynamic solutions for managerial challenges.
- Share Excellence: Collaborate with Church leaders to exercise and advance best management practices.
- Model Excellence: Sustain a high performance culture in all that Leadership Roundtable does.
- Invest in Excellence: Ensure the full financial health of Leadership Roundtable’s current and future activities.
Leadership Roundtable Mission
Leadership Roundtable promotes best practices and accountability in the management, finances, communications, and human resources development of the Catholic Church in the U.S., including greater incorporation of the expertise of the laity.
The Communications and Marketing Manager creates, implements and oversees communication and marketing activities to effectively promote and represent Leadership Roundtable and its programs and services. The Communications and Marketing Manager is responsible for annually developing and implementing the communications and marketing strategy, ensuring brand and message discipline, and driving the quality of our communications with donors, partners, members, and clients. The Communications and Marketing Manager also ensures excellence in internal communications efforts in support of a hybrid/semi-virtual staff.
This position works cross-functionally to collaborate on external and internal communications, media relations, and development projects.
This position is full-time and based in Washington, DC, at our national headquarters in the Brookland neighborhood.
Leadership and Management
- Contribute to the leadership of the communications and marketing department
- Successfully create and manage annual department budget
- Successfully manage at least one communications staff person and all related vendors for best results
- Proactively create a positive work environment
Communications and Marketing Strategy & Message Development
- Ensure consistent, high-quality, appropriate delivery of Leadership Roundtable’s message in all areas of the organization
- Strengthen awareness around a clear, distinctive, positive identity or “brand” for Leadership Roundtable
- Identify and engage priority audiences for our communications
- Identify appropriate communications vehicles—including the web and other electronic media for best results
Print & Electronic External Communication
- Produce high-quality, consistent, compelling materials for external audiences
- Work with staff, board, members, partners and other contributors to write, edit, publish and design:
- Monthly email newsletters
- Blog posts and themed series
- Social networking pages and other electronic media
- PowerPoint presentations
- Print materials, such as handouts, brochures, rack cards, invitations
- Print and digital advertisements
- Press releases
- Development appeals
- Annual report
- Shoot, edit and produce (oversee production of) videos and photos that effectively tell our story
- Manage photo bank, video bank and other archival material
- Manage freelance designers, photographers, videographers, and other consultants to provide high quality products on deadline and within budget
- Maintain and keep website current and in alignment with best practices and the needs of the organization
- Monitor appearances of Leadership Roundtable and its affiliates in media
- Cultivate contacts with media
- Work with CEO to communicate with media
- Participate in and take on key parts of 2017 Leadership Roundtable Annual Leadership Convening planning process
- Support and promote all development/fundraising events
Successful Candidates Must Have/Be:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- At least 5 years relevant communications and marketing experience
- Self-starter, motivated and self-disciplined
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and planning skills
- Capable of both a high degree of independence and team approach in work responsibilities
- Superior project management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, meet deadlines and be flexible
- Look for growth and improvement opportunities and know how to position them to the team to create buy-in and success
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including strong English grammar skills, editing, and proofreading
- Excellent storyteller
- Layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Proficiency in Constant Contact or similar platform
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite or similar publishing software
- Basic photography and video skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Ability to work well with diverse constituencies
- Commitment to Leadership Roundtable’s mission and values
- Familiarity with and knowledge of teachings, hierarchy and functional structure of the Catholic Church
Qualities and Experience Preferred:
- Experience in video editing software
- Experience with WordPress and/or proven ability to learn a new web platform
- Competitive non-profit salary based on experience and qualifications
- SEP-IRA: 10% of annual salary paid quarterly
- Benefits: Full health, dental and vision are provided
- Paid Vacation: 10 working days per calendar year (initially)
- Paid Holidays: 12 holidays throughout calendar year
- Paid Sick Leave: 7 working days per calendar year
Application instructions: In your digital application, please submit as one pdf attachment the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Two samples of published writing you have written that relate as closely as possible to role. Samples can include blogs, newsletters, brochures, or social media campaigns. No academic work, please.